Docusate sodium (Colace) liquid was superior to triethanolamine polypeptide (Cerumenex) in removing ear wax, according to a trial published in the Annals of Emergency Medicne.
- 50 patients enrolled age 1 to 81 (mean age 40).
- Ability to completely visualize the tympanic membrane occurred in 81% of the docusate group and 35% of the triethanolamine group.
- A larger difference was seen in children age < 5. (90% vs 0%.)
- 1 ml was instilled into the ear.
- Tympanic membrane was assessed at 15 minutes.
- If not clear, irrigation was conducted with 50-100 ml normal saline.
Singer AJ, Sauris E, Viccellio AW. Ceruminolytic effects of docusate sodium: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Emerg Med. 2000;36(3):228-32. PubMed